Send in the clowns.
I’m as much a political junkie as the next guy, although I do think we are getting a little nutty with the way we handle the whole presidential race. It seems as if the presidential race has some similarities to the Christmas season in that it begins earlier and earlier with each go round.
Anyway, over the last few days as the race has begun in earnest and there have been a bunch of debates that are all very entertaining to watch. I was stricken by one thought that I wanted to put out there to see what other‘s opinions of it would be.
Each time elections role around, whether they be for governors, senators, representatives or president, one of the issues that always comes up is education. In almost every debate you will hear candidates talk about the sorry state of education in our country. I’m not talking about this year’s race for president, I’m talking about every race! Every time there is a discussion among candidates about education, we always hear about how the candidates are going to ‘fix’ education in our country.
This discussion goes back now at least two decades if not longer - so, what does this mean? Is education really as f**ked up in our nation as it is often portrayed? Is the problem really the educational system or is it some deeper issue in our society that is being masked by this debate and education is merely the smokescreen it hides behind? Are we talking about other issues such as parental responsibility? If not, and we have been having this discussion about ‘fixing’ our educational system for over two decades, does this speak to how ineffectual our government is in fixing any problem because twenty years is a long time and if education in our nation has been a mess for that long we have already lost two generations. It sure doesn’t speak well about what to expect in the future if that is the case.
Feel free though to leave your opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment